PIZZA CHICKEN | All About Women

PIZZA CHICKEN

PIZZA CHICKEN Food Recipes, I came up with the idea for pizza chicken one day when afternoon thunder showers cancelled my grilling plans. There I was, faced with (yet another) potentially boring package of boneless, skinless chicken staring at me.

The food fairies must have been at my house that day, because the recipe idea just popped into my head and it has been a huge hit ever since. The first time I served this to picky-picky husband, he gave me that, all too familiar, sidewards glance as if to say...you expect me to try this? But, to his credit, he took a bite and his eyes opened wide as he said "this is REALLY good!!" I almost fell off of my chair. The recipe immediately became one of our favorite quick fix dinners.


I took boneless, skinless chicken breasts and sliced them horizontally (to make two or three THIN chicken cutlets which I breaded and browned. I placed them on a baking sheet and topped them with pizza sauce (recipe follows) and a generous handful of mozzarella cheese and heated them through...thats it!!

PIZZA CHICKEN
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 eggs
all purpose flour for breading
dry bread crumbs for breading

1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1 clove garlic minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
(1) 6 ounce can of tomato paste
(1) 6 ounce can of water
1 teaspoon dry sweet basil
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (do not leave out)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch dry crushed red pepper flakes


Depending on how thick the chicken pieces are, slice them horizontally into two or three thin layers. Coat each layer with all purpose flour, then dunk them into beaten eggs, then coat them with a generous layer of fine dry bread crumbs. Brown these cutlets in a little canola oil and set them on paper towels to drain. Because they are thin, they will cook quite quickly.


Next make the pizza sauce: Saute the onion, celery and garlic in the olive oil until they are tender. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. The sauce will thicken up very quickly after it comes to a boil which is what you want (thick). Remove from heat and set aside.


Top the browned chicken with the pizza sauce (dividing equally between the cutlets) and top with a generous handful of mozzarella cheese.


Bake at 350 until the chicken and sauce are nice and hot and the cheese is melted (about 15 minutes).

NOTE: Add any veggies you like on pizza (before you put it in the oven).

NOTE: If you have any leftovers, pizza chicken makes a delicious sandwich!!

NOTE: If you decide to use a commercial pizza sauce, just make sure it is a very thick one (but I hope you will use the above recipe instead).
PIZZA CHICKEN FOOD RECIPES
By Coleen Marie
 

All About Women Copyright © 2011 Design by Panji Media