RICE and NO BAKE COOKIES - Two week day classics | All About Women

RICE and NO BAKE COOKIES - Two week day classics

RICE and NO BAKE COOKIES - Two week day classics Food Recipes, When I serve plain white rice, my husband slathers it with butter and white sugar (yuck). To avoid that, I've learned to jazz our rice up a little. This recipe is the result of years of tweaking, and we really enjoy it; I like it because it goes with almost anything. It also keeps my husband away from his sugar rice (lol).

1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup of raw long grain rice (not instant)
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup of frozen veggies
sliced green onion tops for garnish
1 tablespoon butter

Saute the onion, celery and carrot in the canola oil until they start to lose their crispness; stir in rice and seasonings; stir to coat the rice with the oil and saute gently for a minute or two. Add the broth and frozen veggies and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, turn heat down to a low simmer and put a tight fitting lid on the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn off the burner and let it sit for five minutes. Add one tablespoon of butter & fluff with a fork and serve.

NOTE: You noticed I use 2 & 1/2 cups of broth, that is more than you would normally use for plain rice. I use this extra amount of broth to give me a slightly saucy rice.
NO BAKE COOKIES
I have used this no-bake cookie recipe since I was in 4-H Club as a kid. It is probably one of my all time favorite cookies. I tend to make them only occasionally these days since I have trouble leaving them alone.

3 cups of dry oats (it's OK to use quick oats - do not use instant)
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup coconut
Mix sugar, cocoa, water and butter in heavy saucepan. Boil for one minute on med-high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat (leave the burner on) and add remaining ingredients. Return to burner and cook on medium for two minutes.
Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper and cool. You can speed set these by putting them in the fridge for a few minutes. Store covered.

RICE and NO BAKE COOKIES - Two week day classics FOOD RECIPES
By Coleen Marie
 

All About Women Copyright © 2011 Design by Panji Media